March 31, 2007

Stress and Immune System

It's been a while since I wrote. I don't have a lot of wisdom that I've accumulated to share with you, just a lot of snot in my head. I've done this empirical study so much - actually it's only an observational study - that I know for a fact now that final exams area damaging to one's health. Every break I get, I spend the first bit of it very sick. This time, it seems to be worse than usual. At least we just studied the endocrine system and now I know why one's immune system takes a dive under stress (the hormone that mediates long-term stress, cortisol, inactivates your immune system in order to do other things like keep your heart rate up or build up your liver stores of energy for when you really need it). So anyway, I just took my morning shower, and now I am going back to bed!

No comments: