October 10, 2006

Where Have You Been?

I've been waiting for you to log on so that I could write something. It's about time you checked on my blog!

In the past few weeks, I've lost a lot of hair. The remainder of it has turned white. And it is all due to... Apple and its stupid Computers. Macs are supposed to be easy, man! But they aren't. I've become quite savvy at network connection-ese. I can rattle off my IP address, I know what an IPv6 address is, I know the first three digits to a bad (self-addressed) IP address, I know how the IP address distribution between your router and the computers that wirelessly hook up to it works, I learned how to trick my Mac into telling me "congratulations, you're now connected to the internet" when I'm not really, I know that renewing one's DHCP lease is one of the first things to do when troubleshooting for network problems, and a whole host of other things. It took me since 9/16 to figure all this out, a little each day, but now I'm ready for the Network Final Exam.

The only problem? I'm in MEDICAL school, not computer engineering school!

I am supposed to know all about genetics and epigenetics and histology (yes, Darron - HistoTime is coming back) and immunology and statistics right now. But instead I spent my time learning about that other crap. Why couldn't all that have happened when I had a lucrative job with plenty of time off? I have to say though, genetics and immunology are pretty interesting. One of my classmates' strategy for learning about genetic disorders is to play "Genetics Charades." For those of you who don't know what charades is, it's a game where you act something out. So, those of us who in four short years are to be deemed professionals, are acting out genetic mutations in order to commit them to memory. How un-PC can one get than that? But I will tell you, I'll never forget what Marfan's syndrome is.

I got to visit Darron this past weekend. It was great! Long overdue. You know you got a good boyfriend when he spots a vista point after riding up a very steep and long hill, in his first bike race, without much physical activity in the preceeding months, on his buddy's wife's bike, in funny pants, and stores it in his mental rolodex long enough to take you to gaze at it three weeks later. =) There is much more that's sweet about him, but one only has so many hours in a day to type. I could use some sleep. Thank goodness we have an "online course" from 8-10am. Ha!

Thanks for reading. And next time, don't stay away so long!

3 comments:

prez said...

Hey! I check every day!

Nancy said...

Welcome back, Pam. I hope you never have to act out Klinefelter's or Turner's syndrome during charades. At least, not in front of Darren. Miss you all, Nancy

FFB4MD said...

Just checking to see if you were paying attention! =) Nancy, some people would think I have Klinefelter's or Turner's... just the other day my classmate said, "You're not a girl, dude!" Thank goodness it was in the context of needing or not needing an extra suitcase for shoes to fly to the Bay Area for two days.